We’ve had a great start to the Spring semester! We want this semester with COHC to be the best it can be. As such, here are a few updates/reminders to help you put your best foot forward this semester.
Make Sure You Can Get Our Texts
We occasionally send text reminders and/or emergency updates (such as weather cancellations) via the Reminder App. Click here to sign up.
COMING UP! Solo & Ensemble
We want YOU, yes YOU!
We invite all COHC students ages 8-18 (and friends of COHC students!) to participate in the solo or small ensemble portion of the upcoming Solo & Ensemble (March 7th).
- Each rehearsal location will perform as an ensemble (example- Edmond Illuminati, OKC Bella Voce, etc). This portion of the event is mandatory for all Illuminati and Bella Voce students. You do NOT need to register for this portion.
- COHC students may choose to also perform with friends in smaller ensembles and/or as solos. (More information below.) You DO need to register for this if your student chooses to participate in this part. You may perform with non-COHC members as long as they fit the age requirement.
- This is a fantastic opportunity to receive feedback from highly qualified judges (Adjudication will be done by local university vocal music professors or local vocal coaches.).
- Family and friends are welcome to listen to the ensembles perform.
- While the schedule is subject to change, participants of the Solo and Ensemble Contest can expect to be to be assigned an adjudication time somewhere between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Ensembles are scheduled first in the day.
Non-Rehearsal Location Ensembles + Solos
These students will need to:
- Register online: (http://centralokhomeschoolchoirs.com/solo-ensemble-contest/)
- Submit payment to COHC (2011 W Danforth Rd, Box 204, Edmond, OK 73003)
- Choose and purchase a piece that meets the Solo & Ensemble guidelines (listed on the COHC website).
- Choose an accompanist (live accompanist required).
- COHC has contracted an accompanist and she is available to play for other groups/students, but these students must pay her directly for her services ($20 a solo/ensemble piece). This accompanist will only be available to rehearse with the students during the week prior to Solo & Ensemble. She is willing to make a recording for you to practice with.
- Choral directors can give accompanist suggestions as well.
- Practice! This must be done on your time (not during regular choir rehearsals).
- Some choral directors may be willing to consult, but you will have to ask each choral director directly.
- Questions? Please feel free to email Minda Ciardi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Behind the Scenes
January and into February continues regular rehearsals but behind the scenes a lot is going on that is fun to know.
- This weekend 12 of our students are participating in Circle the State with Song, a regional honor choir for 4th-8th grade students.
- Three of our students also just participated in the Oklahoma All State Children’s Choir. Their performance was stellar!
- And, our Ambassadors ensemble will be singing at Homeschool Capital Day February 4th (2nd Floor Rotunda State Capitol AND Oklahoma History Museum). Hope you can come!
Door Monitor Sign Ups
We still need a significant amount of volunteers for door monitors. This volunteer position is VERY easy, but also VERY important– ensuring the safety of our children. Below you will find the links for the Spring semester sign-ups. Please consider signing up for at least one spot (or more if you’d like!).
Our choir music library is in desperate need of a computer. We are looking for a donation of a used desktop computer, capable of connecting to the internet. We will use this computer to access our online music database for the library. Please contact Minda at email@example.com if you have a lead.